Recipe: Crustless Green Chile + Black Bean Quiche
Eggs and beans are two of my all-time favorite foods. For vegetarians especially, these two super foods are often staples because they’re versatile and provide high amounts of protein. Add them both into one dish, and you’re looking at a healthy and filling feast.
That’s why I absolutely love this crustless quiche. Beans have carbs, sure, but way less (and more protein) than a flakey, buttery pastry crust—no matter how delicious it is. By pouring the beans onto the bottom of the pie plate and spreading them out evenly, you end up with a “crust” made of beans that melds quite well.
Now, obviously you could add basically anything into a quiche like this, but I decided to go with a simple, classic combo of hatch green chiles, onions and garlic. My favorite part is an unexpected ingredient that makes this quiche extra creamy: 1/3 c. of low-fat ricotta cheese! You could do milk instead, but I think the thickness of the ricotta helps to hold everything together better. Serve with roasted broccoli or a side of sliced avocado for a truly complete meal.
5 large eggs
5 egg whites
1/3 c. low-fat ricotta cheese
1 yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can black beans, drained
1 small can diced hatch green chiles
1/3 c. low-fat Mexican cheese
Salt & pepper
Salsa, avocado, etc. for garnishing
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9-in. round pie pan.
2) Chop your onions and garlic and sauté with olive oil, salt and pepper in a pan over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent and the garlic becomes fragrant.
3) In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and ricotta.
4) Pour the drained black beans into the bottom of the pie pan. Spread evenly to coat.
5) Pour the onion/garlic mixture plus the hatch green chiles into the egg mixture. Stir quickly and pour into the pie pan immediately so the eggs don’t start to scramble from the heat of the sautéed veggies.
6) Top the mixture with a bit of shredded low-fat Mexican cheese. Add to the oven and cook until the eggs are set in the center and the top starts to brown, about 35-38 minutes. Finish by browning in the broil if desired.
7) Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, top with any additional desired ingredients and serve!