Recipe: Customizable Mini Lasagnas
You remember those “Choose Your Own Adventure” books from when you were a kid? Well this is like that, but better because it involves food.
Although Ed and I usually eat the same thing for dinner, sometimes it’s fun to mix it up and make something quick and customizable. If you’re digging this idea, then disposable mini loaf pans will change your life (link at the bottom of the page).
Last night we used the pans to create our own lasagnas. Choose whatever ingredients you want and layer away! This is an incredibly easy dinner option. Ed was able to add Italian sausage to his, and I added a bit more sauce and spinach than he’s so inclined. We used Explore Cuisine’s Organic Green Lentil Lasagne noodles, which are pre-cooked and pack 11 grams of protein per serving. Great option, especially when going meatless. We both ate about two-thirds of our pans and were full but not stuffed. Serve these with honey balsamic-glazed Brussels sprouts for added veggies.
INGREDIENTS - LASAGNA
Explore Cuisine’s Organic Green Lentil Lasagne Noodles (you’ll probably use three noodles per pan)
Yellow onion, diced
Red bell pepper, diced
Yellow or green bell pepper, diced
4-6 cloves garlic, diced
Salt & pepper
Low-fat mozzarella cheese (or vegan cheese)
Low-fat ricotta cheese (or vegan ricotta)
Any additional ingredients you might like to add
Basil and Parmesan to garnish
INGREDIENTS - HONEY BALSAMIC BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Enough Brussels sprouts for two people
Red pepper flakes
STEPS - LASAGNAS
1) Sauté the onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic in a pan with olive oil. Season with cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
2) Add a bit of sauce to the bottom of each pan. Add a noodle, ricotta and/or mozzarella cheese, veggies and spinach. Top with sauces and repeat layers until the pan is full. End with a noodle and top with sauce and cheese.
3) Bake covered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Add to the broiler for a few minutes if you’d like the lasagnas to be extra crispy.
4) Slice and serve, topping with shredded Parmesan and fresh basil. Quick, easy and delicious meatless dinner!
STEPS - HONEY BALSAMIC BRUSSELS SPROUTS
1) Remove outer leaves from Brussels sprouts. Wash and chop.
2) Add chopped Brussels sprouts to a large plastic bag. Add additional ingredients to taste, and shake to coat.
3) Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.