Recipe: Fourth of July Favorites
Vegetarian BBQs and holiday picnics don't have to be boring! For the Fourth of July, surprise your family and friends with one of these tasty options. Guaranteed to satisfy both veggies and non-veggies alike.
INGREDIENTS - VEGETARIAN PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS
- Baguettes or submarine rolls
- 1 T. olive oil
- Sliced avocado
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 slices Pepperjack cheese
- 2 slices smoked gouda cheese
- 6 medium portabello mushrooms, sliced
STEPS - VEGETARIAN PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS
1) Slice rolls and cook in oven until crispy.
2) Add mushrooms, onions and peppers with oil to a pan over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until soft. Add cumin and paprika and mix well.
3) Divide veggies into two halves in the pan. Top each pile of veggies with a slice of each kind of cheese. Turn the heat to low and cover with lid. Cook until cheese has melted.
4) Scoop each pile of veggies into a roll and serve with sliced avocado and sour cream, if desired.
INGREDIENTS - GRILLED SWEET CORN PIZZAS
- Personal-sized pizza crusts
- 2 ears sweet corn
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. rosemary
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 2 oz. gorgonzola
STEPS - GRILLED SWEET CORN PIZZAS
1) Shuck the corn and remove any silks still left. Rub the corn with 1/2 T. olive oil and place on the grill. Cook, turning occasionally until charred, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly, then remove the kernels from the cob.
2) Brush the top of the pizza crusts with olive oil. Place the crust olive oil side down on the grill and cook until crispy. Flip and brush the remaining 1 T. olive oil onto the dough, then sprinkle on the garlic, rosemary, cheeses and charred corn kernels.
3) Grill the pizza until the cheese has melted and the crust has a nice char.
INGREDIENTS - SWEET POTATO FRIES & CHIPOTLE AIOLI
- Two sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Fresh rosemary
- 2 T. canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t. finely minced garlic
- 1/4 t. sugar
STEPS - SWEET POTATO FRIES & CHIPOTLE AIOLI
1) After the sweet potatoes have been peeled and thinly sliced, add to a large plastic bag. Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil and fresh rosemary. Shake until fully coated. Pour onto a large pan and bake at 400 degrees for 30-40, flipping the fries halfway through the total baking time.
2) For the aioli, add all remaining ingredients expect the vegetable oil to a food processor. Turn the food processor on, and slowly drizzle in the oil. When all the oil has been added, stop the processor and use a spatula to scrape down the sides. Turn on for another few seconds more, add to a bowl and serve.