Recipe: Crock Pot Enchilada Orzo
Now that fall is quickly approaching, I’ve been dying to try out some crock pot recipes. We received a pretty great crock pot as a wedding present a year ago but maybe have only used it a half dozen times. Time for that to change!
Crock pot meals are fantastic because they’re usually super low maintenance. Prep your ingredients the night before or the morning of, turn on the pot before you leave for work, and by the time you get home dinner is ready. It’s basically magic.
We served this Enchilada Orzo as a meal on its own (meant to serve it with roasted broccoli but totally forgot), but I could see serving this as a side dish with enchiladas or tacos as well. I don’t mention this below, but this is really good for brunch the next day with an over easy egg on top! Genuinely versatile, which is my favorite.
Do you have a go-to crock pot meal? Would love to see your recipes in the comments!
1 (14.5 oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 (4.5 oz) can diced green chiles
1 c. vegetable broth
1 can fiesta corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 yellow onion, diced
2 bell peppers, red & green, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
2 1/4 c. orzo (we used Rice Select Orzo Tri Color Pasta)
Cilantro, avocado and/or tortilla chips to garnish
1) Add a crock pot liner to a 6-quart crock pot. Add the corn, tomatoes, beans, green chiles, onions, bell peppers and garlic.
2) Pour in the vegetable broth and enchilada sauce. Stir well to combine.
3) Top with 4 oz. of light cream cheese.
4) Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
5) Uncover and stir so cream cheese is well combined.
6) Pour in orzo and stir well. Cover and cook on high for an additional 20 minutes. Add more vegetable broth if needed.
7) Serve with chopped cilantro and chips for dipping, if desired.