Recipe: Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
Last week I presented you with a list of "10 Tasty Items from Fast-Food Restaurants," which included one dish from Taco Bell: the Mexican Pizza. As good as the MP is, I'm sure some of you were wondering—why no mention of the infamous classic, the Crunchwrap Supreme?
I've actually never eaten a Taco Bell version of one of these suckers, but I'm well aware of its cult following and its popularity amongst my high school friends. For the woefully unaware, let me break it down for you: the Crunchwrap Supreme is basically a taco inside of a burrito. You start with a gargantuan flour tortilla, fill the very center with meat, beans, rice, cheese, etc., top it with tortilla chips and/or a tostada, add fresh toppings like lettuce, onions, guac and tomatoes, add a smaller tortilla to keep everything in place, fold the big tortilla around the whole thing, then grill it to perfection. It's a monster, for sure, but it's kind of a genius monster at that.
So speaking of the Crunchwrap Supreme, I've been seeing a lot of vegan versions floating around on Pinterest—and my interest was piqued. Healthy junk food is always fun to make and super fun to eat. This combines a really low-maintenance cashew cheese sauce with vegetarian favorites like bell peppers, onions, veggie-friendly Spanish rice and Amy's Kitchen's Refried Beans. Prepare the ingredients in steps, and you'll end up with a really easy, totally decadent, yet mildly healthy Mexican meal.
INGREDIENTS - CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE
1 c. plain, unsalted cashews
1/2 c. water, but if you want a runnier queso then add more (mine ended up being a bit like the consistency of hummus, which I don't think I would do next time)
1 small can diced green chiles
1/2 T. taco seasoning
1/2 T. garlic powder
INGREDIENTS - CRUNCHWRAPS
Large burrito-sized flour tortillas
Something crunchy, like tostadas, tortilla chips or even Doritos
Roasted vegetables (red onion, garlic, green & red bell peppers)
Box of Spanish rice
Vegetarian refried beans
Salsa and/or sriracha
1) Cook the box of rice according to package directions and set aside.
2) Combine all ingredients for the Cashew Cheese Sauce in a food processor and pulse until quite smooth. Add more or less water, depending on your desired consistency.
3) Dice/mince your veggies. Add to a pan over medium-high heat with olive oil and sauté until onions are translucent. I would also suggest adding a bit of the extra taco seasoning, along with salt and pepper, to the veggies.
4) Place the large burrito-sized tortilla onto a flat service. To the center, add a scoop of rice, refried beans, and cashew cheese (I added some sriracha, too). Keep in mind that you'll need to fold the tortilla in on itself, so don't overstuff it.
5) Next, add some of your "crunchy bits" along with the lettuce, veggies, avocado and whole black beans. Add a smaller corn or flour tortilla on top, then fold the edges of the larger tortilla into the center.
6) Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat, then add your Crunchwrap seam side down. We placed a small bowl and a cast-iron press over it to ensure it was flattened and stayed together. Cook for a few minutes on each side until it's golden brown.
7) Cut and serve immediately. I dipped mine in salsa and a bit of extra cashew cheese. If you'd rather do a vegetarian rather than vegan version, you might add some low-fat cheese and dip it in light sour cream!