Recipe: Avocado Toast with Grilled Corn and Spicy Aioli
I love avocado toast! It’s just the perfect food. It’s filling and slightly decadent without leaving you feeling like crap, and you can dress it up practically any way you’d like. Side bar: click here for a list of my eight favorite avocado toasts in OKC.
The toast in this post was actually inspired by one at a DFW restaurant, HG Sply Co. My best friend Lillie lives in Fort Worth; she’s a vegetarian too, but she doesn’t eat cheese or eggs because they negatively affect her skin (I certainly don’t envy her!). HG Sply Co. is her favorite area restaurant (she’s actually a bartender there now) because of their abundance of interesting veggie/vegan options. I so wish there was an HG in OKC (another side bar…check out my travel piece on Fort Worth restaurants).
HG Sply Co. uses a thick toasted sourdough for their Street Corn Avocado Toast and tops it with charred corn, avocado, cotija, cilantro, pickled red onions lime & valentina aioli. We copied this exactly but used a thinner bread and subbed Frank’s RedHot Sauce + Sriracha for the Valentina in the aioli. This is one of the easiest dinners we’ve made in awhile, and it was absolutely delicious!
1-2 ears of corn
1 red onion, sliced thin
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1.3 c. light mayonnaise
1 t. Frank’s RedHot Sauce
1 t. white wine vinegar
1/2 t. sriracha
1/2 t. olive oil + a dash
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne
Dash of sugar
Cotija cheese, to top
Cilantro, to garnish
Salt & pepper, to taste
1) Add the sliced onion to a mason jar along with the rice vinegar and a pinch of salt + sugar. Seal and shake well. Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
2) Remove the husks and silks from the corn and brush with olive oil. Turn the grill on high and cook the corn with the lid down for four minutes per side.
3) Add the avocado to a bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Add a dash of olive oil and a dash of cayenne. Mash well to combine.
4) In a separate bowl, add the mayo, Frank’s RedHot Sauce, white wine vinegar, 1/2 t. olive oil and minced garlic. Season well with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
5) Toast the bread and spread on a layer of the mashed avocado. Top with the corn, pickled red onions and cotija cheese. Drizzle with the spicy aioli and garnish with cilantro.