Harissa Spinach Salad with Red Pepper Hummus
I love a good “loaded salad” packed with interesting ingredients and drizzled with a simple yet flavorful dressing. It’s what you might call a “clean out the fridge” salad—essentially whatever ingredients you have on hand will do! The real kickers in this salad, though, are the red pepper hummus and the roasted Brussels sprouts.
The sprouts are shredded, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and roasted until they’re crispy but still retain moisture. Along with fresh spinach, they serve as the base of the salad. Together with the simple harissa dressing, the red pepper hummus brings a ton of flavor to the salad and pairs well with a variety of different toppings. If you’re in the mood for something healthy that’s packed with deliciousness, this salad is for you!
INGREDIENTS - DRESSING
2 T. harissa (I recommend the Mina brand)
1 T. olive oil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. water
INGREDIENTS - HUMMUS
1 - 16 oz. can chickpeas
2 T. olive oil
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 t. Greek yogurt
1/4 t. smoked paprika
1 clove garlic
3 roasted red peppers (I used Mezzetta brand)
1 t. harissa
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 lb. of Brussels sprouts
Red onion, diced
1 - 16 oz. can cannellini or butter beans, drained
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tough ends off the Brussels sprouts and remove the outer leaves. Use the shredding setting on you food processor, or slice the sprouts super finely to shred them. Add them to a pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, remove and toss, then cook for another 8-10 minutes.
2) Cook the quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
3) Add all dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk well to combine.
4) Add all hummus ingredients to a small food processor and pulse well to combine.
5) Time to assemble the salad! Start by building a base of spinach and shredded Brussels sprouts. Next, add your preferred portions of shredded carrots, quinoa, beans, pepperoncinis, kalamata olives, red onion and hummus. Finally, drizzle with the harissa dressing and devour.