Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Pie
True story—I was at Pub W on Memorial Rd. about a month ago, enjoying one of my favorite salads at the bar. I like to order the Chili Lime Chicken Salad (mixed greens, grilled chicken breast, red onions, grape tomatoes, fresh avocado, crispy tortilla strips, Parmesan cheese) but I’ll nix the tomatoes/chicken and add boiled eggs + a side of quinoa instead. The quinoa always gets directly dumped onto my salad. When my food came out and I began my routine, a drunk-ish lady a couple stools down from me loudly whispered to her friend, “What is that?” The friend, equally inconspicuously, responded with, “I think that’s quinoa. It’s pretty gross.”
Um…hold the phone one damn minute. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who automatically look at quinoa and say “ew, gross” and who have obviously never tried it; or, on the flip side, have never had it prepared well. Quinoa, to me, is in the same category as rice—if you flavor it with herbs and spices, mix it with other ingredients and don’t overcook it, then you’ll be in for a real treat.
As a vegetarian, I consume quinoa often because it has a low glycemic index (which is good for blood sugar control), has a decent amount of protein (8g per cup) and is easy to incorporate in place of rice in practically any meal. So back off, quinoa haters! This super grain is here to stay.
Alright...quinoa rant over. On to the recipe! This broccoli cheese pie will for sure turn you into a quinoa lover. You can add additional eggs for a more breakfast-y dish, or sub the eggs for flaxseed/water (1 T. Flaxseed + 3 T. water for every egg) and go with dairy-free cheese and milk for a vegan option. You could mix in more veggies, too, like peas or bell peppers. I love this easy, satisfying recipe and hope you will too!
3/4 c. cooked quinoa
2-3 c. finely chopped broccoli
1-2 large carrots, grated
1 yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. 2% milk
1 1/4 c. low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Dash of ground ginger & ground nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Cook the quinoa according to package directions, substituting vegetable broth for water.
3) Add the broccoli, onion, carrots and garlic to a pan over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, ginger and nutmeg and sauté until the veggies just start to brown.
4) When veggies are done cooking, pour into a bowl with the milk, eggs, 1 c. cheese and cooked quinoa. Stir to combine.
5) Pour mixture into a greased 9-in. pie pan.
6) Top with remaining 1/4 c. cheese and cook for 25 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown.