Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole
Broccoli and cheese is one of my all-time favorite combos. Whether it’s in soup, mixed with rice or even on a pizza, I am guaranteed to be all up in that shiz.
And this Broccoli Quinoa Casserole totally fits the bill. It comes together quickly and packs an incredible amount of flavor. It can also be modified to fit any tastes; next time, I think we'll add peas to it, but it would also be great with bell peppers, spinach and/or cauliflower added.
If you're fairly hungry, the recipe below will be just more than enough for two people. I'd suggest doubling it if you're cooking for a larger crowd or if you'd like leftovers to eat on for lunch throughout the week.
2 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
1 c. quinoa
2 large heads of broccoli, cut into small chunks
1 red onion, chopped
8 oz. low-fat cheddar cheese
1 c. low-fat milk
1/2 T. butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 pieces sourdough bread
Red pepper flakes
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cook the quinoa with vegetable broth according to package directions. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
3) Chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and add to a ziploc bag. Pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Shake the bag to coat, pour onto a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes until the broccoli is quite crispy. Once the broccoli is done, turn down the heat on the oven to 350 degrees.
4) Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and add to a food processor, blending until the bread becomes crumbly (don't over-blend).
5) In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the diced red onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion starts to become transparent. Add the breadcrumbs and cook for 3-4 minutes, until slightly browned and crisp. Set aside to cool.
6) Return to your quinoa pot and add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Add about 2/3 of the cheese to the pot, pour in the milk and stir to combine.
7) Pour the cheesy quinoa mixture into a 9 in. square baking dish. Top with the roasted broccoli and stir to combine. Add the red onion/garlic/breadcrumb mixture to the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
8) Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Add to the broiler for a few minutes as well if desired.