Recipe: Veggie Philly Cheesesteaks
I'm a huge sandwich fan, and this one is by far one of my all-time favorites. It's been quite awhile since I've had a "real" Philly Cheesesteak, so I can't really say how this veggie version stacks up. But if you stick with portobellos, slice them thin and cook them for a long time, I guarantee you'll get a "meaty" flavor in there—and won't miss the actual meat.
This tasty little number features both gouda and pepper jack cheeses, giving it a nice smoky flavor with a bit of a kick. Last time we made this, we added sliced avocado on top, which I think made the whole thing a bit heartier. This version includes red bell peppers, but it would be great with green bells, too. Spread the top piece of toasty bread with light mayo, ketchup or BBQ sauce, and you’ll be good to go!
- Submarine rolls
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 package portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper
- Smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- Pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Optional condiments like avocado, sour cream, etc.
1) Slice the rolls in half and lightly butter. Toast, either on your stovetop or in the oven.
2) Sauté the onions, peppers and mushrooms over medium heat and season with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until everything is very soft.
3) Grab a cookie sheet and create a pile of veggies per sandwich (we made four sandwiches, so there were four piles). Top each pile with shredded cheese, then broil until cheese is melty and golden brown.
4) Scoop each pile onto half of a roll. Add whatever additional toppings and condiments you’d like, then top with the other half of the roll.